We all know by now that self-care ain’t selfish. What was once considered as forsaking others to prioritize your own needs is now recognized as an essential part of burnout prevention and self-preservation. When considering the regular tasks that make up your self-care routine, be mindful of the multi-faceted benefits that these sacred opportunities can bring. The duality of self-care and sexual health enhancement can create an even stronger need to make time for them in your daily life.
Now let’s take a look at the top eight self-care practices that can also assist in boosting your sexual libido and drive.
- Yoga. Regular exercise has multiple benefits, such as relieving stress, weight loss, and aiding in healthy digestion. Decreased stress levels can help with increasing your sexual desire. When you listen and are in tune with your body, the mindfulness helps with zoning in on the here and now. You are more aware of your partner and living in the moment during sexual intercourse. This can result in a stronger connection, and ultimately, stronger orgasms. There are also specific yoga poses you can practice to improve your sexual experience. For more information on using yoga for better sex, check out Dr. Debby Herbernicks’ book The Coregasm Workout.
- Increased Water Intake. Drinking more water has countless health benefits. Low levels of water in your body can result in vaginal dryness, a decreased sexual libido, and low energy levels. Be sure to drink plenty of water before intercourse to avoid dehydration.
- Meditation and Mantras. Meditation is known to create a better sense of focus, physical awareness, and mindfulness of your partner’s contribution to your sexual gratification. By reciting body-positive mantras, you can help create a positive self-image by focusing on the things you love about yourself. This simple practice can boost your self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Reading a book. Taking time to cozy up with a sexy book is not only relaxing, but it can be inspiring. As you read, you can take mental notes for later or if you feel so intrigued – stick a bookmark in that bad boy and go find your lover to write your own chapter!
- Going out with friends. In the beginning of a relationship, we spend a lot of time with our mate, getting to know each other. As we get further into the relationship, it’s always a great idea to spend some time apart to create boundaries and make time for self-care. Besides, absence makes the heart grow fonder. Allow yourself time to miss your partner and, while you’re out, make sure to send him some spicy sext messages to build anticipation.
- Taking a hot bath. A relaxing bath can elevate your mood and give you energy. While perspiring in a hot bath, you can feel refreshed and energized. Don’t forget to add some scented candles and smooth music to get in the mood.
- Having a healthy diet. It’s common knowledge that a healthy diet is essential for nutrition, energy, and revitalization. Additional benefits include lower stress levels, increased stamina, improved circulation to areas that can trigger a more intense sexual response. Be sure to include plenty of whole grains, fruits and vegetables, nuts, and seafood in your diet. According to Health.com, these 7 foods can help you turn up the heat in the bedroom, avocados, almonds, strawberries, seafood, arugula, figs, and citrus fruits. So eat up, then turn up!
- Shopping. There was no way I’d leave my favorite recreational activity off our self-care list! Taking some time to yourself to go shopping, particularly for new clothing, can be a great way to unwind. While hitting up your favorite stores onsite or online, pay extra attention to how it would make you feel to wear it. Feeling desired has a positive impact on your attitude and performance in the bedroom. So, if it makes you feel confident, sensual, and beautiful, by all means, get it!
There you have it! While making room for these activities and best practices, you’re not only looking out for your mental well-being, but you’ll also be investing in your sexual health. So leave the guilt behind as you carve out some me-time and you’ll be sure to enjoy the fringe benefits of doing so later!